Hebburn Hall & Park

No history of Hebburn would be complete without an account of one of its most prestigious surviving buildings, Hebburn (or Ellison) Hall.

The Ellison dynasty, which was to play such an important part in Hebburn's history began in 1650 with Robert Ellison who also acquired the Manor of Jarrow. He was the Parliamentary Representative for Newcastle and had been High Sheriff of Durham. He was very involved in the commercial life of the area and was a member of the Company of Merchant Adventurers.

In all, he had a family of fourteen and was succeeded by his son, Cuthbert. The Hall as it is today was rebuilt in 1790 using the original stones. The west elevation is plainer and has windows on a different level and may well be part of the earlier building. The front door was on this side prior to 1886. The Hall had over 80 rooms and was built in the classical style of the late 18th century.

Under the will of Cuthbert Ellison (1868), his cousin Ralph Carr inherited the estates and he then added the name Ellison to his own. By all accounts, Ralph Carr Ellison was most interested in country matters but he also demonstrated a concern for social injustices. He died in 1884 and Andrew Leslie was one of the pall-bearers at the funeral.

In 1886, Colonel R.H. Carr Ellison altered the servants quarters into a vestibule for the newly converted church of St. John and the west wing of the Hall would become a rectory for the church. St. John's was consecrated in 1887. During this time the tenant at the Hall was Sir Herbert Rowell of the shipbuilders Hawthorn Leslie. The Hall was converted into an infirmary in 1897, and records show a procession of Council Members as part of the official opening. The ground floor contained the surgery, with the former drawing room being used for meetings. The fine staircase was retained and led to the wards on the top floor.

In this same year, Col. R.H. Carr Ellison allowed the town's residents the use of the surrounding lands and in 1920, Col. Ralph Henry Carr Ellison presented 25 acres to the town as a park. The Infirmary closed in 1976 and part of the Hall was leased to the Freemasons of Hebburn as a private social club.

It is now private housing - see this Shields Gazette article of 24 April 2001.




Carr Ellison family

Picture taken from what is now Hebburn Park

South and East faces of the hall (fire escape has now been removed)



.

Schoolrooms
The St. John's schoolrooms were adapted from the Hall Stables


East side of the hall today
Wilson Postcard
Wonderful old postcard (Wilson)
loaned by Ron French
 

Clearer view of how the Hall was used to construct a church.

 
South face today

West side with
St. John's Church adjoining


Entrance arch to the Estate


Ellison Hall Infirmary Boardroom

Childrens Ward
Infirmary Childrens Ward

 

Ladies Ward
Ladies Ward

Mens Ward
Mens Ward


Park was a gift to the town

.

WWII Memorial


Recent replacement for cannon on Memorial

Boer War Memorial

 

count all hits
Home Theater System